Data Analyst, Quantitative Research
— Education Practice Area
Hanover Research Arlington, VA
Remote Opportunity #Remote #LI-remote
The Data Analyst will be responsible for quantitative research reports and strategic briefings on a wide variety of education research topics. This position will allow for the swift development and refinement of applied set of research skills and provides the opportunity to develop a relationship with a young and rapidly-growing enterprise. We expect all employees to be intellectually curious, ambitious, and interested in assuming increasing levels of responsibility. This is a mid-level applied research position and candidates with greater experience may be considered for more senior roles which include supervising other researchers. This position will report to both the Director of (K-12 or Higher Education) Data Analytics and the practice area's Managing Content Director.
High-Impact Education Research
- Projects: Program evaluations; equity in key student outcomes (academics, behavior, and program access); career/college readiness; teacher retention and attrition; etc.
- Work with hundreds of districts across the country, each with their own unique perspective and needs; draw insights from proprietary student-level data; contribute to meaningful solutions; collaborate with colleagues who are passionate about education and social justice.
- Projects: Determinants of successful progression through academic career from inquiry to graduation; Donor analysis; Financial Aid Optimization; etc.
- Work with different types of higher education institutions from large public school systems with multiple campuses to small community colleges and everything in between; interact with various stakeholders in different programs and administrative departments, determine their unique needs, and decide on the methodology and real-world data required to address those needs (both from the client side and from publicly available sources like IPEDS); be ready to tackle "left-field" project requests which our Higher Education clients invariably come up with.
- Process and clean datasets for analysis
- Perform statistical modeling and regression analysis on education related data;
- Design and develop customized quantitative research reports on various topics for Education clients;
- Collaborate with Content Directors on defining project scopes for client deliverables;
- Analyze complex research requests to provide actionable recommendations and key findings;
- Form hypotheses and locate compelling support for arguments under tight deadlines;
- Manage tight deadlines to create reports requiring few edits;
- Review formatting and data accuracy in key deliverables;
- Provide guidance and constructive feedback to peer research reports.
Desired Skills and Attributes:
- High comfort level with statistical analysis software, particularly Stata and R;
- Experience working with and preparing real-world datasets for analysis, including identifying and reshaping or merging data;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply econometric and statistical methods to practical research problems;
- Willingness and ability to learn new quantitative skills as necessary and apply them in new contexts;
- Experience with, or ability to learn, data visualization software such as Tableau or Microsoft Power BI;
- Experience with other programming languages such as Python, with database systems and SQL, or with spatial mapping and analysis tools such as ArcGIS is a plus;
- High comfort level with Microsoft Office applications, such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Other Skills and Attributes
- Demonstrable problem-solving skills;
- Willingness to tackle complex, often unfamiliar research requests;
- Ability to collaborate and strategize with senior-level research directors;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work quickly and independently with minimal guidance or oversight;
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple short and long-term projects to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrable, strong work ethic;
- Ability to accept feedback and constructive critique positively;
- Strong command of the English language and demonstrated writing and editing skills, including experience writing or presenting for a business or non-technical professional audience
Incoming level to be determined upon application. A Master’s or Doctoral degree in Statistics, a Social Science with quantitative training, or a related quantitative discipline is preferred, though promising candidates with a Bachelors degree in a related quantitative discipline may be considered for some positions
Incoming level to be determined upon application. 2 - 5 years of full-time work experience (or equivalent academic work) conducting quantitative research and analysis is preferred. Experience working in the K-12 or Higher Education sector (for example, in institutional research, assessment, or evaluation) is a plus.
Office is located in Arlington, VA
- Starting at 18+ days Paid Time Off
- 11 observed holidays, including Juneteenth and Indigenous People Day and an additional 3 floating days in a calendar year (14 in total)
- 401(K) employer matching program
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits package
- Health and wellness packages with discounts to local gym
- Annual company-wide day of service and monthly events partnering with local organizations such as KidPower, Martha’s Kitchen, DC SPCA
- Community service opportunities
- Unlimited snacks and beverages (when the office opens again)
How to Apply
If you are interested in the prospect of working for a dynamic, growing company, we encourage you to submit your resume and a relevant professional writing sample (consisting of no more than 8 pages on an education or business related topic preferably)
About Hanover Research:
Founded in 2003, Hanover Research is a global research and analytics firm that delivers market intelligence through a unique, fixed-fee model to more than 1,000 clients. Headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, Hanover employs high-caliber market researchers, analysts, and account executives to provide a service that is revolutionary in its combination of flexibility and affordability. Hanover was named a Top 50 Market Research Firm by the American Marketing Association from 2015 to 2021. To learn more about Hanover Research, visit www.hanoverresearch.com
Hanover Research is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, compensation, training, promotion, transfer, leaves of absence, and termination.